Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Making Progress...

My sister came to visit for a couple of days, and Jilly was very excited to see her Auntie Jackie. We went to the mall today and I finally got to shop in Fetch, the pet store that basically only has stuff for dogs. I didn't realize they sold dogs until we stopped in, but there they were, most likely puppy mill specials. There were two Papillons, but they looked more like Papillon/Jack Russell crosses. It was weird, the ears were right, as far as shape and size, but there was very little hair in the ears, and their bodies weren't furry. They also didn't have the refined muzzle that Jilly has. Something was very "wrong" about them, though their tails did curl over their backs the way Jilly's does.

Kitty and Jilly are playing more and more, it mainly looks like Jilly running around the living room while Kitty kind of walks after her, Jilly seems to like it though and Kitty must not be having a bad time, or else she wouldn't be on the floor with Jilly. Jilly doesn't really chase Kitty, though she does walk towards her and bark.

Jilly got her first greenie today, my sister was telling us that the Japanese Chin my parents had while I was in college would take a month to finish a greenie. Jilly polished hers off in just under 15 minutes. She *loved* it. It was the smallest size available, and I watched her the whole time she ate it, to ensure she didn't get any big pieces. The box says to give one per day, but I don't think she'll be getting nearly that many!

I've been reflecting on how much I think Jilly will like agility. She already runs up the ramp made of pillows laid on boxes, dives under couches and legs, jumps over legs, and has no problem standing on the hole box while it's upside down and laying on a long toy so that it shifts around as Jilly moves from edge to edge.

Oh, and the biggest news of all tonight??? Jilly went to the door twice to signal she wanted to go out. She doesn't stay at the door long, but she doesn't really venture onto that side of the living room when playing, so it usually means something when she does. And in those two cases tonight, it did, woohoo! I also discovered that she will sit and lay down based solely on my hand signals, with no words, as long as she's focused on me already.

I almost forgot, I clipped the nails on her front paws with hardly any struggle. I was impressed by how still she stayed and how quickly she settled down when she did struggle. I'll probably try her back feet again tomorrow.










No comments:

Post a Comment