Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Oh My God Hyperness...

Jilly survived her first day of Craig and I being back to school. We were gone for 9 hours and she was crazy once we got back. It took three hours of hard playing and one intense training session and she is now passed out on the couch. Poor girl. We start puppy classes tomorrow, I hope it goes well, I'm nervous. It was freezing rain all day today, tomorrow it's supposed to snow, but we *will* go on a walk no matter what. At least half a mile, lol. I need her to be a little tired for puppy class, or at least not crazy hyper!

Our training session went well tonight. I worked on having her sit and down just off of words while I was standing, which caught her off guard in the beginning but she adapted quickly. I also worked on teaching her to sit until she actually got her piece of food reward. Unfortunately I was so anxious just to see that sit that I would give her the treat after she sat and she started jumping up on her hind feet to meet me half way. So now she always gets up on just her hind feet. I'm fixing it by saying "ah ah ah" and standing all the way up again and then bending down to give her a treat once she's sitting fully. In the beginning of working on it she would take three tries before she got the treat, then she was quickly down to just two tries before she stayed sitting, and by the end she was pretty good at just sitting. Once she's consistent with keeping her sit I'll start waiting for her to keep her right paw on the ground the whole time. Right now she keeps it held up, almost as if in anticipation for her next command. We also worked on a lot of touch with different items.

I'm holding off on working on any other tricks until she is 100% with sit and down and after getting further guidance from the puppy class instructor.

So, tomorrow's plan:
Potty time as normal
Some playing
Trip to PetSmart to look for a treat pouch
At least half mile walk
Bath

And of course I need to shower, elliptical, household chores, and do some homework/thesis stuff in there as well. Puppy class isn't until 7, so hopefully I get everything done.

No comments:

Post a Comment